Thursday, October 20, 2011

2011/10/19 Benson to Mammoth


I had to go to Tucson yesterday so I tacked on a photography trip.  I've never been from Benson to Mammoth so it sounded like a good idea.  Ended up making a 384 mile loop out of it.


Note: You can click on any of these pictures to see a larger version.

Most of the road between Benson and Mammoth is a dirt road.  About 20 miles into the journey it was confirmed.



It was a washboardy and boring drive for the most part.  I do not recommend it.  I did run across a patch of very big saguaros.




The Blue Front Inn in Mammoth had some character.




On to Winkelman.  There were some interesting old buildings there - worth a return trip.  I was taking pictures of them and someone yelled, "What are you doing?"  I got to talking with him and he said he knew I was there taking pictures because it's happened many times before.  "Really?," says I.  "Yep, let me show you what they're after."

He unlocks one of the abandoned buildings and we go inside.  I'm thinking, yes it's interesting but no more than what I was shooting.  Then at the back of the building he unlocks another door.  It's his apartment.

Then he points to his ceiling.  "It's Jesus.  See it?  In a robe, with the cross on his chest.  See it?"




No, I don't see it.  He explains it's the little image on the edge of the stain.




Anyway, he was a nice guy and loved to talk.  Meet Pancho Cruz.




This is the store front.  Pancho lives in the store on the extreme right, right of the old Burrito Cafe sign.  He said about 15 years ago his buddy hanged himself in the store on the left with the front missing.  His wife had cheated on him and they didn't find his body for 10 days, he said.  I don't know if Pancho was pulling my leg but either way he's a nice guy.




Winkelman is another copper mining town.  It's interesting to have the golf course tucked in next to the slag heap.




No CPL
D50, IR, 18-55mm
D700, 17-35mm, 28-200mm

The Winkelman store front is the only HDR and it's purposely overdone.  The Blue Front Inn and the portrait are tonemapped.

No comments: